[Update 8/1– (over) GOOOOOOALLLLLL! 102% of goal, over $1500 raised so far – thank you! thank you!]
Once a year I ask readers directly for support – and year after year you’ve responded. Together we’ve raised over $10,000 for the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation (JRDF). On Saturday August 2 I’ll be back in East Lansing to go face-to-face with Coach Dantonio to take part in the Walk for a Cure. This year those who donate (something/anything) will take their place in Michigan lore and receive a virtual helmet sticker that will adorn the sidebar on this site until after the walk:
- Donate to my walk group – something, anything.
- Join me in East Lansing for the walk on Saturday August 2nd.
- Learn about JDRF and Type 1 diabetes—you probably have some friends/relatives/co-workers that are affected.
- All of the above
- Why East Lansing? A: My family is heavily involved in the EL Walk, what’s a brother to do?
- Does Dantonio really show up? A: Every year – he and the MSU football team support this walk like you wouldn’t believe.
- Why are you involved in T1D? A: Found out about the disease when my nephew Jack was diagnosed when he was 4 and I’m trying to do my part to solve this.
- Whoa dude – August 2, what about the Man U/Real Madrid game at the Big House? The walk starts at 9:30am and I’ll be back in A2 with bells on in plenty of time.
- Isn’t “curing” T1D just about diet and exercise? A: No! I wish. Its onset has nothing to do with diet or lifestyle. There is nothing you can do to prevent T1D, and-at present-nothing you can do to get rid of it. There is no cure! (The differences between T1D and adult-onset diabetes here.)
Follow MVictors on Twitter