First, midway through the show Bruce Madej from the media relations department phoned in and refuted DeFran’s claims on air. He told DeFran that he specifically walked into AD Dave Brandon’s office to get clarity and clearance on this, and made it clear that there is no talk/option/proposal/plan E of offering to fire Rodriguez in return for lighter sanctions as DeFran’s source suggests. End of story. [Ed 5/1: There was a little delay in posting the audio of Madej’s 4-29 call, but you can hear it here.]
It’s not surprising that someone from media relations would refute a story like this. What is enlightening is that Madej would bother to call the radio show to personally shoot this down, with the backing of Brandon. He must have been pissed. I mean Bruce has nothing really to gain by doing this, he could have just let it go. U-M doesn’t chime in on every rumor (although that would be fun). But he chose to call DeFran’s goofy show this afternoon. Translation: there’s no validity to this and DeFran’s sources are complete bunk. Again.
Second, DeFran took a shot at this site and I don’t get that. Here’s the audio:
Defran: “..And Marty sent this piece I guess on MVictors, you know, and it’s like and I read it and it’s like I can’t read the whole thing because I’m so misquoted in there. And this guy keeps writing ‘Jeff used an 8 minute prepared statement to tear into Rodriguez back in November’. It was not a prepared statement! That was sarcasm..”
Copeland: “That was in December!”.
Defran: “Well he wrote November, and there was one after Thanksgiving. And I joked around kind of like Rush Limbaugh, [in Rush voice?] ‘I am reading, humph, humph, from a prepared statement.’ It was all sarcasm and a joke. And you know these knuckleheads take it for reality. It’s just ridiculous, some of these people. And some of them don’t even merit a response."
Well, this probably doesn’t merit a response but since I’m a knucklehead I’ll try.
- First (and who cares I guess) but DeFran’s original RR rant was aired on Wednesday November 25, and you can still hear the dated podcast on WTKA.com.
- Next, on DeFran’s claims I’m misquoting him. Really? Because I published the audio of Jeff’s entire statement along with the original rant post. And I posted audio of what I quoted him on yesterday. And the relevant portion of his first segment today. In fact it’s all still there for anyone to listen. If I misrepresented his words I’ve made it pretty easy to validate it. You’d think Jeff would appreciate someone publishing the actual audio clips given there clearly are some callers and emailers misrepresenting what he said. If you read or listen to what I wrote, he clearly presented this as something that “could” happen, not absolutely would happen, and that’s something he pressed this afternoon.
- Further, he says “this guy keeps writing ‘Jeff used an 8 minutes prepared statement…” By keeps writing, I assume he means once, because that’s how many times I mentioned a “prepared statement” last year and in the post yesterday, and I put that phrase in quotes in the original piece because I was, umm, quoting Jeff DeFran.
- Finally, on apparently missing his deft sarcasm. Wow and yes, I’m guilty of missing that brilliant imitation of Rush Limbaugh. See if you can catch it, click here for the beginning of DeFran’s rant last year where he goes into his wildly sarcastic Rush routine. Over my knucklehead I guess.
More on the DeFran comments here:
- Bruce Madej calls back into WTKA (4-30)
- Locomotive Jeff (DeFran audio (4-29)
- Jeff’s Sewing Circle (4-28)
You can check out all of the WTKA podcasts here.