Update 12/4: I spoke to Jamie Adkins at the A2 police department this morning, the contact for the program. Not a surprise, but she told me that this year they’ve got the largest number of families in need. They are very flexible on how you can give. If you are interested see the details below or email Jamie Adkins at email@example.com.
Original Post (with a few updates):
Looking for a way to give back the holiday season? Sam Webb of WTKA 1050AM had on former professional golfer Debbie Williams-Hoak, one of the founders of the Ann Arbor Adopt-a-Family Program. She started this along with the Ann Arbor Police Department, and she notes that the athletic department is heavily involved. Here’s the audio of her visit to the studio, check the audio here. It’s a great way to help a local family. More importantly, here’s the details as I gathered them (I don’t think they have a website):
- You don’t need to adopt a whole family.
- They accept straight donations and gifts.
- You can mail checks to:
Ann Arbor Police Dept
100 North Fifth Avenue
Ann Arbor, MI 48104
attn: Adopt a Family/Jamie Adkins
- If you want to donate a toy or want general information, contact Jamie Adkins at the Ann Arbor police department at 734-994-2858 or at firstname.lastname@example.org unless you’re running from the law.
- If you want to volunteer, Wednesday December 17 at 7pm at the UM Golf course off of Stadium Blvd across from the Big House, they need help wrapping gifts.
- WTKA is going to be giving highlighting 5 families next week, asking callers to donate gifts from family lists.
Great stuff for local families and kids and you can give in almost any way. MVictors is going to contribute, I hope you do too. If you help out I’d like to hear about it.