“Major” props to Michigan’s Lion Kim for hanging with the big boys in the opening round on Thursday. Unfortunately I don’t have a photo of his epic blue, maize and white custom Footjoys with “LION” on the side—but I’m sure a pic will surface. Kim shot a respectable 76 (+4) on the day and is tied for 87th heading into Friday. He’s got a little work to do to make the cut, but it’s certainly within reach if he can shoot near or just under par.
Consider how fine that line is. Here’s how Kim stood up statistically against the leaders and Tiger:
|Player||Driving Accuracy (Fairways)||Greens in Regulation|
|Lion Kim (+4)||10 of 14||12 of 18|
|Rory McIlroy (-7)||10 of 14||14 of 18|
|Alvaro Quiros (-7)||7 of 14||10 of 14|
|Tiger Woods (-1)||9 of 14||14 of 18|
Kim’s average driving distance was 272 yards, just over eight yards behind Tiger (280.5).
Other sights and sounds from Thursday:
- Kim teed off at 12:31 and hit a beautiful drive, up the middle just short of the bunker up the hill. (Former champion JM Olazabal and PGA vet Davis Love III put it to the right & in trouble. Lion made birdie—what a start.
- On #9, Lion hit a low stinger from around 190 yards within three feet of the pin—it was probably the best approach on that hole all day. He sunk the short putt and headed +1 into the back nine.
- The buzz around the Michigan gear and bag was outstanding and all around the course wherever he went. A big day for Lion and the Wolverines.
* Lion Kim at the Masters (Photos – Wednesday Practice Round)
* mgoblue.com has a dedicated Masters page up – check it out
* What’s In My Maize and Blue Bag—Michigan’s Lion Kim
* Interview with Lion Kim (February)