Rodriguez was peppered with questions for the first 10+ minutes of the press conference, eliciting a few jokes from RR about having plenty of other positions on the field to discuss. A few notes on the qb-question barrage:
- “Quarterback position is still wide open”, and it may come down to how they perform in game conditions.
- When asked if for the opener, there’s a good chance each of the three quarterbacks (Sheridan, Forcier, Robinson) will take snaps, Rodriguez’s answer was, “Yes. Yeah. In what order and how many (snaps) I couldn’t tell you. Right now all three of them look like they’ll play in the opener.” I gasped. [Update 8/24: Here’s the audio]
- He’s not worried about having a single guy to rally around, he just wants each quarterback to get better.
- He later said, when talking about freshman and freshman quarterbacks in particular, that Denard Robinson and Tate Forcier “are going to play as freshman.”
- Rodriguez noted that Sheridan “is battling right there with them,” and noted that he’s done a lot of work physically (in the weight room).
- When asked who started the intra-team scrimmage held on Friday, after joking that he “didn’t remember’”, Rodriguez admitted that he thought Sheridan took the first rep. [HT mgoblog, some video of yesterday’s scrimmage is up on mgoblue.com here.]
- After the official presser, Rodriguez was holding a depth chart cheat-sheet that he had on his hand. A media member peeked at it, and joked about the quarterback position. Rodriguez said the depth chart at QB was in order “by class”. I assume he means graduating class and not who has the most panache. (Because that’d be Cone).
Other quarterback bullets:
- Both Forcier and Sheridan said they hadn’t practiced sets with multiple quarterbacks in the same line-up, but neither would be surprised to see it when the season rolls around.
- Sheridan’s leg is feeling great.
Follow MVictors on Twitter to get posts real time along with other hilarious takes.