UPDATE 12/16: Yes, Rich Rodriguez is a Michigan man, click here for more.
Breaking…Free Press is on it. Coleman, Martin, Rodriguez, lawyers, agents, met in Toledo. Here’s audio on Sporting News radio breaking the story, and a few comments from Angelique Chengelis saying it’s a desperate move by Coleman and Martin on WDFN’s Stoney and Wojo:
Quick takes, if true
– Ann Arbor News columnist Jim Carty will no doubt be digging into this if he’s hired. He’s got a Big East background and he’s hinted at this on WTKA, and if there is any impropriety in his past Carty will be checking it out.
– Bizarre that we are clearing out West Virginia of coaches.
– Most fans will be very happy.
– It’s funny that Mary Sue Coleman is the closer.
– UPDATE: You’ve gotta love the college football fan. Much of the talk on the radio is already on what Rodriguez would do with Mallett. Gotta love it
Here’s the profile and a few takes on Rodriguez from the Death March Madness bracket:
Rich Rodriguez has his West Virginia team poised to play for the national title in January this year. His offense is the envy of many fans. I don’t know if anyone is exactly sure what happened with the Alabama coaching job last year, whether he actually accepted a job and then changed his mind, or whether he never actually accepted the gig,…who knows. Putting that aside, there are all kinds of rumors that Rodriquez plays a little dirty in the recruiting game. These of course remain rumors as I’m not aware of any official infractions against his program. All told, his success in taking the WVU program to a new level is commendable. Timing may be an issue as now Rodriguez would be the one embroiled in coaching rumors and his team is preparing to play for the title (assuming they win Saturday). Boy, if Michigan ended up hiring RR wouldn’t it be bizarre that Michigan hired the Mountaineers’ head basketball and football coaches within the span of a year?